Housing benefits

Repaying an overpayment

An overpayment is any amount of housing benefit that you are not entitled to.

If you have any queries about your invoice or require further information, or if you think you won't be able to pay in full, you should call us straight away on 01895 277011.

If you are having difficulties, you can ask us about options to pay by instalment, however you should be aware that all instalment arrangements must be agreed to.

In certain circumstances, you may be asked to complete a  breakdown of income and expenditure form [16KB] .

If you disagree with the overpayment and wish to have the decision reconsidered, read the information on our appeals page.

The reference number you need to quote is your payment reference, which can be found on the right-hand side of your letter below the date.

Your payment number should be quoted on all correspondence and payments.

Make an online payment

Other ways to pay

You can make repayments via the council's 24 hour payment line by calling 01895 556699 24 hours a day.

When calling, have your card and reference number to hand. You will need to choose option 3 to make a payment.

Alternatively, call 01895 277011, where your payment will be taken over the phone. This line is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

​If your bank offers internet banking or a telephone banking service with your account, you may use these to pay your housing benefit overpayment.

Contact your bank and provide them with the following details:

  • Bank account number: 11533360
  • Sort code: 30-80-12 (Lloyds Bank)
  • Payment reference: Your invoice number

Payments by debit/credit card can be made at the Civic Centre main reception.

Cheques or money orders should be made payable to the London Borough of Hillingdon and sent to:

Hillingdon Housing Benefit Overpayment
Civic Centre
High Street

Ensure you write your reference number clearly, your name and address on the reverse of your cheque clearly.

Page last updated: 12 Feb 2020