How to apply for building control approval

There are three types of applications for building control approval: building notice, full plans and regularisation. Find out which type of application you need, and how to apply and pay.

In this section:

Regularisation application

Purpose: If building works have been carried out without building control approval and are unauthorised, a retrospective application can be made to certify that these works are compliant with building regulations.

You may be liable for council tax for any building which has been constructed or adapted for use as separate living accommodation

Regularisation applications can be made for any domestic and non-domestic works commenced on or after 11 November 1985. Any work completed before this date is not covered by the regularisation procedure. Depending on the circumstances, exposure, removal and/or rectification of works may be necessary to ensure compliance with the building regulations.

View the building control fees from 1 April 2022 (PDF) [1MB]

How to apply

Your application needs to include:

  1. plans showing the completed works and how the layout was before the work was undertaken.
  2. the appropriate fee - check the  building control fees (PDF) [1MB]

Online regularisation application

We'll issue a free regularisation certificate when we're satisfied the work complies with the requirements of the regulations.

How to pay

Applications should be accompanied by the correct fee, which you can find in the building control fees (PDF) [1MB]document. Use our online regularisation application form (link above) to submit your application and accompanying payment.

If you are paying for a submitted application, please use the below link.

Pay for a submitted regularisation application

Page last updated: 04 May 2022