How to apply for building control approval

There are three types of applications for building control approval: Building Notice, Full Plans and Regularisation. Find out which type of application you need, and how to apply and pay.

In this section:

Full Plans application

Purpose: for domestic or commercial works. Requires the submission of detailed plans and structural calculations for your proposal.

If you engage an independent agent to draw your plans, all correspondence will normally be conducted through the agent. Once received, your plans will be checked for compliance with the building regulations. Any comments will be forwarded where necessary and an Approval Notice issued as soon as they're considered satisfactory. To avoid complications on site, you should then supply your builder with a copy of the approved plans to work from.

Work can start at any time after submitting the application, subject to giving 48 hours notice. However you're strongly advised to wait for the plans to be passed so you're fully aware of all the requirements before work begins.

How to apply

Your application needs to include:

  1. A completed application form.
  2. A site location plan (1:1250 scale) and a block plan (1:500 scale).
  3. All detailed plans, sections and elevations, including all necessary technical notes, supporting calculations and specifications.
  4. A description/details of the work proposed.
  5. The appropriate fee - check the  Current building control fees [483KB]

Online Full Plans application

For postal applications, download the Full Plans application form [128KB]  and send it to Building Control Services at the address below. 

We'll issue a free completion certificate when we're satisfied the work is finished and complies with the requirements of the regulations.

How to pay

Applications should be accompanied by the correct fee, which you can find in the Current building control fees [483KB]  document. 

If you've applied online, you can also pay by credit or debit card. Simply click the 'Online Payment' button. 

For online or postal applications, you can send a cheque (made payable to the London Borough of Hillingdon) for the appropriate amount to:

Building Control Services,
Civic Centre,
High Street,
UB8 1UW.

If paying for an online application, please write the online reference number (for example, OWC12345) on the reverse of the cheque when you send it in.

Note: your application will not be validated until a cheque has been received.

Page last updated: 18 Aug 2020