Children licences

If you are putting on a show involving children or employing a school age child, find out if you need a licence or permit.

Chaperone licence

A chaperone (or matron) must be appointed to look after any school-age child taking part in a performance (except if the child's parent/guardian is present).

What you need to know

It is the licence holder's responsibility to ensure that an approved chaperone (or matron) is appointed to care for the child. You may not undertake any matron/chaperone duties until you are registered/re-registered. 

What we need to see

If you would like to apply to become a chaperone you will need to download and complete the  chaperone application form¬† [166KB]  or request it through the post by emailing

The Applications Admin team will provide you with login information to apply online for a DBS certificate.

Once you have completed the application form and your online DBS application, please email us with all the relevant documents.

You will need to include copies of the following items when you email your chaperone application form:

  • 1 passport size photo

Any 3 of the following items:

  • passport
  • driving licence
  • birth certificate
  • marriage certificate/decree absolute
  • National Insurance number
  • proof of your current address (this could be a utility bill, bank statement, council tax bill)

You must allow a minimum of 2 months for your application to be processed.

Once a satisfactory DBS report and references are received, we will email you once your licence is issued.


The cost of a chaperone licence is £150.

There is no fee for a volunteer chaperone licence.

Page last updated: 28 Sep 2021