Giving notice

In this section:
What is a notice of marriage or civil partnership?

What is a notice of marriage or civil partnership?

Giving notice is a legal requirement and must be given by the couple in person.

You must ensure you give notice with enough time to comply with the notice periods. 

Each notice for a marriage or a civil partnership held in the UK is valid for one year. If you decide to change venue, new notices must be given. You both must give notice in person - no one else can do it on your behalf.

If you intend to marry in a Church of England or Church in Wales, there is no need to involve your local register office, speak directly to the vicar of the church.

Every person wishing to marry of form a civil partnership in the UK has to prove their nationality before giving notice. If one or both of you are subject to immigration control, you will need to attend a designated register office together. 

The regulations for notices of marriage and civil partnership

EEA Nationals 

  • The notice period for British citizens or European Economic Area (EEA) nationals is 28 days.

Non EEA Nationals 

  • The notice period may be extended from 28 days to 70 days if requested by the Home Office.
  • Are required to present evidence of settled status, permanent residence or a marriage/civil partnership visa and the fee will be £35 per person. If it is not possible to provide this evidence, the fee will be £47 per person.
  • If you marrying in churches of the Church of England or Church of Wales, you are not required to give notice at a designated register office.
  • If one or both parties are non EEA nationals, both must provide a passport size photograph when attending your appointment.
  • If one of both parties are travelling from overseas, we will not book the notice of marriage or marriage ceremony until they have arrived in this country.

Residency status before giving notice 

You both need to have lived in the area in which you wish to give notice for at least seven full days before giving notice. For example, if you arrive on Tuesday 1 March, the seven day period starts the following day, Wednesday 2 March, and is complete on Tuesday 8 March. You can then give notice on Wednesday 9 March.

Please note: If you are residing in a hotel within the London Borough of Hillingdon, please check the hotel is willing to confirm your residency with a letter before you book into the hotel. 

This applies to everyone, including those travelling from overseas for a marriage or civil partnership in England and Wales. 

Exceptions to this are listed below (providing neither party is subject to immigration control):

For marriages

  • British or Commonwealth citizens are able to give notice in the country they are living in. The country needs to be signed up to the British Subjects Facilities Acts 1915 and 1916. The other party must be a resident of England or Wales.

For marriages and civil partnerships

  • If one party to the marriage is a resident in Scotland, they may give their notice in Scotland. The other person needs to be a resident in England or Wales.
  • Officers, seamen or marines on one of Her Majesty's ships at sea can give notice to the captain or another officer commanding the ship. The other party must be a resident of England or Wales.
Page last updated: 11 Mar 2021