Giving notice

You must ensure you give notice with enough time to comply with the notice periods.

In this section:

About giving notice

Each notice for a marriage or a civil partnership held in the UK is valid for 1 year.  If you decide to change venue, new notices must be given.  You both must give notice in person - no one else can give notice on your behalf.

If you intend to marry in a church of England or church of Wales, there is no need to involve your local register office - speak directly to the vicar of the church.

Every person wishing to marry or form a civil partnership in the UK has to prove proof of their name, age and their nationality before giving notice of marriage.  If one or both of you are subject to immigration control, you will need to attend your local register office together where one or both parties reside. 

Check which documents you need to bring to your notice appointment

The regulations for notices of marriage and civil partnership

EEA nationals

EEA nationals who made an application under the EU Settlement Scheme for settled, or pre-settled status, or who are awaiting a Home Office decision, must give notice in their district of residence. The notice period is 28 days and the fee is £35. If an EEA national did not make an application under the EU Settlement Scheme on or before Wednesday 30 June 2021, or had their application rejected, they are treated the same as foreign nationals.

EEA or non-EEA nationals will be asked to provide a share code at the notice of marriage, which you can obtain from the 'view and prove your immigration status' service and is valid for 30 days.

Non-EEA nationals

If one or both of you are from outside the UK, who are subject to immigration controls, you must both attend the notice appointment together at a register office in the district where you both live. The notice period may be extended from 28 days to 70 days if requested by the Home Office. You will be required to present evidence of settled status, permanent residence or a marriage/civil partnership visa and the fee will be £35 per person. If it is not possible to provide this evidence, the fee will be £47 per person.

If one or both parties are EEA or non-EEA nationals, both must provide a passport-size photograph when attending the appointment.

If one or both parties are travelling from overseas, we will not book the notice of marriage or marriage ceremony until they have arrived in this country.

Residency status before giving notice

You both need to have lived in the area in which you wish to give notice for at least 7 full days before giving notice. For example, if you arrive on Tuesday 1 March, the 7-day period starts the following day (Wednesday 2 March) and is completed on Tuesday 8 March. You can then give notice on Wednesday 9 March.

Please note: If you are residing in a hotel within the borough of Hillingdon, please check the hotel is willing to confirm your residency with a letter before you book into the hotel.

This applies to everyone, including those travelling from overseas, for a marriage or civil partnership in England and Wales.

Exceptions to this are listed below (providing neither party is subject to immigration control).

For marriages and civil partnerships

If one party to the marriage is a resident in Scotland, they may give their notice in Scotland. The other person needs to be a resident in England or Wales.

Officers, seamen or marines on one of her Majesty's ships at sea can give notice to the captain or another officer commanding the ship. The other party must be a resident of England or Wales.

Page last updated: 06 Jul 2022