Planning advice

Before submitting an application for development, we encourage discussion and provide pre-application advice for anyone thinking of making an application to the council

This service is designed to make you aware of any likely issues that may affect the outcome of your development proposals, to provide positive recommendations to a scheme and deter applications that have little or no prospect of success. This advice benefits the applicant by speeding up the development process and minimising the costs of submitting subsequent or unacceptable applications.

Pre-application process and fees

Our pre-application guidance notes [153KB]  details our advice services, how they operate and what charges are involved. Please read this fully to identify which service you need to apply for. 

There are a range of development/application types that benefit from formal pre-application engagement. The pre-application guidance notes provide detailed guidance on the various levels of service offered. You'll also find a summary below.


Type of development

Fee (including VAT)
ALarge Scale Strategic*- as defined by the 'Mayors Order 2008' (and any subsequent amendments)£12,500
BLarge Scale Major*£9,000
DLarge Scale Minor£2,400
EMedium Scale Minor and Other Development£1,100

Small Scale Minor (including Certificate of Lawfulness, Prior Approval (residential and commercial) and complex/large scale extension proposals)


*Costs associated with independent reviews of specialist documents (for example, viability, retail impact, daylight and sunlight) will be subject to consultant fees.

How it works

  1. Fill out an application form [131KB] . The more information you can give us, the better we can assist you in developing your proposals and making your application. Please note: you many need a follow-up meeting (50% the cost of the initial meeting, with payment made prior to the meeting taking place).
  2. Email the completed form and the necessary plans and supporting documents to, clearly identifying which service you're seeking based on the council's charging schedule. You can pay your planning fee online. Payment can also be made by credit or debit card via the contact centre on 01895 250230. 
  3. We will allocate a case officer to each formal pre-application submission. More complex proposals may require the involvement of other officers and the council retains absolute discretion as to who is involved in delivering the service.
  4. In certain circumstances, the council might require independent, external advice (particularly associated with the scheme viability, daylight and sunlight review, and retail and environmental impact assessments). The applicant will be expected to meet the costs of these forms of independent advice.

Pay your pre-planning application fee

Duty planner

A free duty planner service is available, covering residential advice to third parties, including those affected by proposals. Note: Due to safeguarding measures put in place as a result of COVID-19, the duty planning service is being facilitated through e-mail correspondence with limited appointments taking place by phone.  

If you would like general advice for residential queries or help filling in planning application forms, please submit an email request to our planning information officers on Alternatively, you can register your enquiry with the contact centre on 01895 250230, where you can leave a message and one of our planning information officers will call you when they have capacity.

Sending party wall notices to us

If you are intending to do some construction works on, or in close proximity to, the boundary between adjoining properties then this may require a party wall notice. Where the property is adjoined to a property owned by the council then the party wall notice will need to be issued to the Mayor and Burgesses of The London Borough of Hillingdon and issued to the following address:

Capital Programme Works Service
London Borough of Hillingdon
2E/10 Civic Centre
High Street

Party wall notices should also be emailed to

Upon receipt of the party wall notice, we will review the notice and plans and respond to the acknowledgement.

Please note: To protect the our assets, we will generally appoint a surveyor to act on our behalf. 

Planning performance agreements

For larger and more complex major planning proposals, it's highly recommended you enter into a Planning Performance Agreement (PPA). The key advantage to entering into a PPA is the council will have the resources in place to ensure your application goes through the process in a timely fashion and results in a high-quality development.

The PPA typically involves funding from the developer allowing the authority to hire an additional planner as a dedicated case officer for your proposals.  

Mandip Malhotra ( and Noel Kelly ( are available to discuss the details of a PPA.

To see what a PPA entails, browse this draft version of the  Planning Performance Agreement template [91KB] .

Related topics
Page last updated: 29 Jul 2021