COVID-19 Support Grant scheme

The COVID Winter Grant Scheme was setup in November last year to support families and individuals who need extra help during the school holidays. This scheme is now closed.

The COVID-19 Support Grant Scheme is an extension to the COVID Winter Grant Scheme, which is another government initiative, paid through the council, specifically to support households suffering financial hardship as a direct result of the impact of COVID-19.

The government has awarded money to Hillingdon Council, as part of the COVID Support Grant, to provide support to vulnerable households and families with children particularly affected by the pandemic. 

The funding will be used to help those struggling to primarily meet the cost of food and utility bills. As school holidays can be a particularly challenging time for families, anyone with children eligible for benefits-related free school meals will receive a COVID Local Support Grant payment for the May half term (1 week only). 

Please note: The COVID-19 Support Grant Scheme is open until 20 June 2021 or until all the funding has been allocated. All unexpired vouchers distributed under this scheme will have to be redeemed by 30 June 2021.

In this section

Who qualifies for the COVID-19 Support Grant Scheme? 

Households with children aged 0-19  

To be eligible for a grant, you must live in a household with children aged under 19 and be in receipt of at least one of these benefits: 

  • Income Support 
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance 
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance 
  • the guaranteed element of Pension Credit 
  • Child Tax Credit - as long as you're not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and your annual gross income is no more than £16,190. 
  • Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit) 
  • Universal Credit - your household income must be less than £7,400 a year after tax and not including any benefits you get.

Households without children/individuals  

You may be eligible if:  

  • you are a vulnerable adult and you are known to the council's adult social care team. 
  • you are a household with no recourse to public funds and you are known to the council's adult or children's social care team

If you are making a claim under 1 of the above 2 categories, you will have to demonstrate that you have been particularly affected by the pandemic and are struggling financially, ie your household income has been reduced as a direct result of the pandemic.   

Care leavers 

You may be eligible if you are a care leaver who is known to the council and currently receiving care leavers services. 

How much will households/individuals receive? 

Households with children aged 0 to 19 

  • Food - you will receive £15 per child for the May half term.
  • Utility costs - if you are eligible for food assistance and you live in Hillingdon, you will be entitled to a one-off payment of £35 per household, providing that you a responsible for paying fuel bills.    

Households without children/individuals

  • Food - you may be entitled to £15 for 1 week in May.
  • Utility costs - if you live in Hillingdon, you will be entitled to a one-off payment of £35 per household, providing that you a responsible for paying fuel bills. 

Care leavers 

  • Food - you will receive £15 for 1 week in May.
  • Utility costs - if you are eligible for food assistance and you live in Hillingdon, you will be entitled to a one-off payment of £35 per household for help towards your utility costs, providing that you a responsible for paying fuel bills.   

How is payment made?

  • If you are eligible for assistance with food, you will receive an e-voucher that you can use towards food. This will be emailed to you.   
  • If you are eligible for a utility payment, this will be paid into your bank account. 

I think I qualify - how do I apply?

We are contacting households who qualify for free school meals, using the data provided by Hillingdon's schools in May 2021.  

We are also contacting care leavers who are currently receiving care leavers' services.  

If you are eligible for a payment, we will aim to contact you.

If you think you may be entitled to a payment based on the criteria above and you haven't heard from us yet, please complete our online form below.

Covid-19 Support Grant Scheme form

The current application form is for a food voucher for the May half term and you have until 20 June 2021 to apply. You can also apply for a fuel payment using this form so long as you have not already received help with fuel under the COVID Winter grant scheme.

Please note you can no longer apply for help for the previous school holidays under the COVID Winter Grant Scheme as this scheme has now closed.

Please allow 7 working days for your application to be processed and payment to be made.

Page last updated: 10 Jun 2021