Support for vulnerable residents

A range of support is available for residents who are most at risk in Hillingdon.


In this section

COVID-19 Community Hub

The council's COVID-19 Community Hub can provide information to Hillingdon residents about local coronavirus-related support services. 

This includes advice for residents who are experiencing financial difficulties. 

The hub is open from Monday to Friday, 9am and 4pm, and can be contacted by calling 020 3949 5786 or emailing

Support for care homes

We have published correspondence relating to Infection Prevention and Control. This details how we will support all CQC-registered care homes within Hillingdon in dealing with the recovery phase of the pandemic.  The action plan demonstrates how, in conjunction with partners, we will ensure that all social care providers have the right level of support now and in the future. 

The government guidance for support for care homes can be accessed below.  

The following tables explain how the first phase of the Infection Control Fund has been spent in Hillingdon. The first phase covered the period 13 May to 30 September 2020.

Visiting relatives in care homes

Care home residents are now able to have named visitors who will be able to visit regularly. Residents can also nominate an essential care giver who can visit in all circumstances, including if the care home is experiencing an outbreak. Testing of visitors and following infection control measures is still required. 

The government guidance for visits in care homes can be accessed below.   

Visiting care home residents outside of the care home 

The government has issued advice setting out how care homes can support residents on visits outside of the care home.  

This guidance applies to residential care settings for older people and adults of working age and sets out:  

  • how visits out of a care homes can take place  
  • steps to reduce risk around a visit out  
  • the role of the provider in supporting outward visiting  
  • the need for individual risk assessments .

Local support for clinically extremely vulnerable people

You can request support from a range of local volunteer schemes as well as NHS Responders. 

The NHS Volunteer Responders service is open between 8am and 8pm and can be contacted on 0808 196 3646. 

If you are experiencing financial difficulties and are unable to purchase food, the council's COVID-19 Community Hub can refer you to a local food bank for support. Those meeting the eligibility criteria will receive a food bank parcel. Please call 020 3949 5786 or email (Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm). 

Government support for clinically extremely vulnerable

As restrictions have been eased following the move to Step 4 of the roadmap, we are advising clinically extremely vulnerable people, as a minimum, to follow the same guidance as everyone else. 

Please refer to the updated guidance below for information relating to government support for those who are deemed to be clinically extremely vulnerable. 

Read guidance on protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable

Community support

The council is working with H4All - a partnership between 5 Hillingdon charities - to offer:

  • a regular telephone call - if you are feeling lonely and isolated or struggling with your emotions during this time, then we can call you for a friendly chat, as frequently as you need, to see how you are getting on
  • information and advice - our skilled advice team will contact you on the telephone to support you through the complexities of the welfare benefits system; if you are eligible to claim, we will help with your claim and answer any questions you may have

If you would like to use this service, email or call 01895 811206.

You can also access help and services for your mental wellbeing through the Mind in Hillingdon website.

Find out more about Mind

Free PPE for unpaid carers

If you provide personal care,  assisting with personal hygiene, washing, showering, bathing, dressing, feeding and toileting,  for a friend or family member you are now eligible for free PPE (personal protective equipment).  If you are caring for somebody (particularly if they are not in your household), you might want to consider using PPE to protect yourself and the person you are caring for.

A carer is someone, including adults and children, who looks after a family member, partner or friend who needs help because of their illness, frailty, disability, mental health issues or an addiction and cannot cope without their support.

To order your PPE, please go to and fill out the online application form.

Your application will then be sent to us. We will contact you directly to fulfill your order.

Apply for free PPE

Additional support

If you or someone you know needs help, the council may be able to offer additional support.

  • Household support fund - a new household support grant is available to support those most in need this winter, supporting low-income households with food and utility costs (energy and water bills). It is also available for other essential costs, such as emergency boiler and heating repairs, and housing costs where existing housing support schemes such as Housing Benefit, Universal Credit and Discretionary Housing Payments do not meet the exceptional need.  
  • Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme - if you receive a positive COVID-19 test result or are told by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate because of close contact with someone who has COVID-19 , you may be eligible for a £500 lump sum payment. 
  • Daily living tasks - anyone who feels that they may be struggling to manage their own or a relative's daily living tasks, such as personal care, may benefit from home care.
  • Hot meals - Apetito can provide a hot or frozen meals service to residents in need.
  • Housing - Discretionary Housing Payments may be available to top-up housing-related benefit for a limited time to cover housing costs, such as rent.
  • Council tax  - if you're really struggling, you may be able to claim a reduction in council tax.
  • Council tax - we offer a discount scheme on council tax for households where the taxpayer or their partner is aged 65 or over.
  • Social care - The government has provided guidance for those who receive support through direct payments. Skills for Care has also published guidance for individual employers (PHB holders and direct payment recipients) and PAs during this challenging period. 

Fraud awareness

Despite the easing of coronavirus restrictions, residents should remain vigilant against scammers and bogus callers. Vulnerable people are being targeted by criminals who often impersonate people, organisations and the police. They spend many hours researching you for their scams, hoping you will let your guard down for one moment.

There will be an inevitable rush to book a holiday following the government's recent announcement on international travel resuming. Action Fraud has published advice on their website - Beware of holiday fraud . They also provide some simple steps that can be followed to protect yourself from fraud.

See further crime prevention advice from the Metropolitan Police.

Page last updated: 07 Dec 2021