Better offers Hillingdon's young people leisure incentives to help boost COVID-19 vaccination uptake
Wednesday 18 August: Leisure centres across Hillingdon are among the businesses which have joined the drive to increase COVID-19 vaccination uptake by offering incentives for young people.
Better, the charitable social enterprise that operates leisure and sports facilities on behalf of Hillingdon Council, is offering anyone aged between 16 and 30 who has been vaccinated a £10 voucher to be used against any membership at a Better-operated leisure facility and a three-day free pass to any of its leisure centres or gyms.
Participating leisure centres across the borough include:
- Hillingdon Sports and Leisure Complex
- Botwell Green Sports and Leisure Centre
- Highgrove Pool and Fitness Centre
- Queensmead Sports Centre
To take up the offer, visit www.better.org.uk/healthy-communities and follow the instructions to complete the form. Alternatively, you can visit your chosen leisure centre or gym and present your vaccination card, or alternative proof.
Mark Sesnan, Managing Director at Better, said: "As the UK's largest operator of municipal leisure facilities, we know the value of regular exercise on our mental and physical health and this has been further highlighted during the pandemic.
"We also know that having all adults double vaccinated plays a crucial role in our battle against COVID-19, so we wanted to help."
Better joins a number of high-profile businesses including Asda, lastminute.com, National Express and FREE NOW taxis that have joined Public Health England's UK-wide drive to boost uptake of the vaccination amongst young people.
Incentives for customers include:
- Asda - Offering £10 vouchers for their clothing brand George to 18 to 30-year-olds who spend more than £20. These will be offered at the vaccine pop-up clinics located in Old Kent Road in London and in Watford.
- lastminute.com - Offering over-18s £30 gift cards towards holidays abroad to all young people getting vaccinated through their website
- FREE NOW - Up to £1 million in free taxi rides for over-18s travelling to and from their vaccine appointment, until the end of September
- National Express Buses (Midlands) - Offering 1,000 people 5-day unlimited travel saver tickets which can be used within 90 days. Tickets can be claimed by sharing vaccine booking references in the company's app.
Deliveroo has also revealed plans to offer thousands of £5 vouchers over the coming weeks to those who get the vaccine.
To find out more about getting the COVID-19 vaccination in Hillingdon, visit www.hillingdon.gov.uk/vaccine.