Street trading

If you sell produce (including food) in the street in Hillingdon, you may require a street trading licence.

Buskers and street entertainers

We have decided to cease this type of licensing application until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

What you need to know 

To enable an application for street entertainment to be considered, it will first be necessary for an entertainer to register with the licensing service. Registration will be for a period of two years after which the registration will lapse unless renewed.

Once registered, an application may be made to the licensing service for a street entertainment licence. A successful application will enable the applicant to busk in Uxbridge Town Centre at four authorised locations.

These are the only locations in the borough where street entertainment will be allowed. Individual sessions will be limited to two hours, either 10am to midday or 2pm to 4pm.  A licence will be valid for one pitch per session only. You must be a performer of a satisfactory nature and standard as deemed by the authority.

Designated street entertainment pitches

The following plans show locations of the designated street entertainment pitches, marked with a red O, being 1.5 metres radius from numbered street light columns. Select a map below for large images of the designated areas:

  • All pitches are located in High Street, Uxbridge. No other locations within Hillingdon are designated as street entertainment pitches.
  • Permission, if granted, does not allow the sale of goods or services or collection of money for charity.
  • The council reserves the right to refuse permission for any performance or activity which may be considered as controversial or likely to cause offence to residents due to religious, political, moral or other significant reasons.
  • There is no charge for registration.
  • The fee for a busker's licence is £27.50.

If you are uncertain whether you require a licence, please use licence finder.

Registration and renewals

As part of the registration process, we will need to receive the following information:  

  • documentary proof of the applicant's National Insurance number
  • a copy of a valid passport, with a work permit if non-European Citizen
  • a passport-sized photograph of each person or persons wishing to undertake street entertainment, which must be signed by that person on the back
  • satisfactory evidence of public liability insurance - minimum sum of £2,000,000, that must be checked by the council each year
  • established performers should provide relevant references from other local authorities or London Underground Limited or establishments where those applicants are currently performing
Page last updated: 11 Aug 2021