Alcohol and entertainment

You need a licence to sell alcohol and provide some forms of entertainment within Hillingdon.

Personal licence

All sales of alcohol must be made or authorised by a person who holds a personal licence.

What you need to know

Applications for personal licences have to be made to the licensing authority in whose area the applicant lives, not from the area in which they work. For example, if you live in Harrow but work in Uxbridge, you must apply for a personal licence from Harrow Council.

Personal licence holders may also be nominated as a 'designated premises supervisor on a premises'. This means that they are responsible for all alcohol sales upon that premises.

Personal licence applicants are required to obtain an accredited licensing qualification in addition to a DBS check, which must not be older than 28 days.

Only original documents will be accepted when the application is submitted.

Request a basic DBS check

What we need to see

When you apply we will request the following:

  • completed application form
  • the correct fee
  • two passport-sized photographs (one must be endorsed as a true likeness of yourself by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification)

For lost or stolen badges:

If your badge has been lost or stolen, you must first report this to the police who will provide you with a crime reference number. You should then email with the following:

  • explanation of your situation
  • your crime reference number
  • the correct fee

If your name or address changes, please send details of this, including proof of change, to: along with the fee and original photo card and licence summary. We will then send a replacement badge to you.


Full application £37
Change of address or surname amendment £10.50
Lost or stolen badge£10.50

Apply for a personal licence [44KB]

Page last updated: 07 Sep 2020