Disability and mental health

Grants and adaptations

There is a wide range of financial support available for people with a disability, which includes benefits, tax credits, payments, grants and concessions.

Disabled facilities grants

This grant is available for disabled people, when works to adapt their home are deemed necessary and appropriate to meet their needs.

We will also assess whether adaptations are reasonable and practical, looking at the age and condition of the property. 

Applicants will be means tested (unless the work is for a child under 18 years old). Applicants in receipt of certain types of benefits are also exempted. The maximum grant is £30,000. The means test will also highlight if you will need to make a contribution to the costs.

You will have to repay the grant if the grant is more than £5,000 and if you sell or transfer your home or it is no longer your main residence, within 10 years of the work being completed. The maximum amount we can recover is £10,000.

In a lot of cases, we recommend choosing your own contractor and allowing us to facilitate this. We use an approved list of suppliers to carry out adaptations works.

  • to make it easier to get into and out of the home. For example, by building a ramp to the front door
  • to provide access to, and within, the main family room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom or garden
  • to improve access and movement around the home for a disabled carer
  • to make the home safe for the disabled person and other occupants
  • to provide suitable washing facilities, such as a level access shower
  • to improve or provide a heating system, or to adapt heating or lighting controls

You can apply if:

  • if you are disabled, or living with someone who is disabled
  • the house you live in needs facilities or adaptations to enable the disabled person to continue to live there normally for the next 5 years. (We appreciate that in some instances due to ill-health, or other reasons, the disabled person is not able to live there for the 5 years, despite their intention to)
  • if you are owner-occupiers, social housing tenants, privately rented tenants or live in mobile parks and houseboats
  • are foster parents and there is sufficient proof that the child will remain in your care for the foreseeable future.

Your contribution to the cost of the works is calculated by looking at your weekly income and comparing it with the amount the government says that a household like yours needs to live on each week (this figure is called the 'applicable amount').

If your income is above the applicable amount you will have to make a contribution towards the cost and we will tell you how much this is. The grant will pay for the rest of the costs, provided that the total costs are not more than £30,000. If you are in receipt of income support, pension credit or income based job seeker's allowance then it is unlikely that you will have to pay a contribution.

You do not have to be in receipt of a benefit to be able to get a grant.

All grant applicants are required to provide documentary evidence of their income and savings.

How to apply

You will need to get in touch with us to arrange application and assessment.

Once we receive your initial contact, we will ask you for some information about yourself.

Depending on the nature of your needs, we will send you an application form for completion for assessment.

Once you have completed and returned this, we will let you know if you are eligible for a grant and whether you will have to make a contribution towards the costs.

You will then be referred to an occupational therapist who will make an appointment to see you to assess your needs.

A grant surveyor will then visit you with the occupational therapist. They will confirm which works are eligible and necessary. The surveyor will draw up a schedule of work and where necessary, detailed plans. The cost of the works will then be determined and budget approvals will be obtained.

Once funds are in place, arrangements will be made to undertake the works. When work is complete and invoices are received, the surveyor will visit you to check the work is satisfactory and complete, before recommending payment to the contractors.

To apply for a disabled facilities grant, or to request adaptations if you are a council tenant, email socialcaredirect@hillingdon.gov.uk or call 01895 556633.

Page last updated: 09 Mar 2020