Discounts, exemptions and coronavirus hardship fund


There is a discount scheme for households where the taxpayer or their partner is aged 65 or over.

Households where the taxpayer, or their partner, is aged over 65 will be entitled to a discount.  This means that the Hillingdon element of the council tax will be frozen at the 2019 level. Over-65s will only have to pay the increase levied by the Greater London Authority and the Adult Social Care precept.

The council is legally obliged to show the full council tax on all bills and therefore the box on the middle right hand side of the bill shows these details for all taxpayers.

Any discounts and reductions are shown at the bottom of the bill. If you are in receipt of an over-65s discount this is an example of how it will look in the bottom box of your bill.

Annual Charge for Band X





Charge for period

1 April 2020

31 March 2021


This will show the full council tax 
including Greater London Authority and Adult Social Care precept.

25% discount for single occupancy

1 April 2020

31 March 2021


(if applicable)

Hillingdon over-65 discount

1 April 2020

31 March 2021



Eligibility for discount

You will be eligible for this discount if:

  • you (or your partner) are responsible for the council tax on a property in Hillingdon, in which you are living on 1 April 2020
  • either you or your partner will be 65 or over on 1 April 2020
  • you are not receiving a means tested council tax reduction

How to claim this discount:

  • If you received the over 65 discount last year, the reduction will automatically be shown on your council tax bill for 2020 to 2021.
  • If the reduction is not showing on your bill and you think you may qualify, send in proof of your date of birth. This can be a copy of your passport, driving licence or other official document. This should be sent to, or posted to:

Hillingdon Council
Revenues Services
PO Box 1120
1 Market Street

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • I am 65 after the 1 April 2020. Will I get the discount from my birthday?
    No, you will not receive the discount this year. To qualify you have to be 65 or over on 1 April 2020.

  • If I move house will I still get the reduction?
    Yes, only if you move to another property in Hillingdon. We will transfer the reduction to your new address, providing you will be responsible for the council tax at your new address.

  • I already get a 25% discount because I live on my own. Will I still qualify?
    Yes. The reduction will be calculated on the amount you pay after your 25% discount. Similarly if you have had a reduction in your council tax band because you or someone in your household have a disability you will still get a further reduction, calculated on the reduced amount payable.

Page last updated: 25 Mar 2020